Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Fetes et Bal en France

Ok, what can I say, I am feeling inspired today. Anyways, I realized that it was necessary to mention the village festivals or should I say drunken festivals that occur every summer. In France there is a festival for about everything you can imagine in the summer but the most common are the Fete de village and if you live in the country, the Bals. The Bals are a once in a lifetime experience. It is highly unlikely a tourist will come across a Bal. In fact if they can, I highly recommend it. I most likely am one of very few Americans who have attended a Bal. In Haute Savoie there is a Bal every summer. Everyone from miles around attend the Bal. Of the 4 or 5000 people, ages range from 14 to probably 70 and 80% of them are drunk. It is based around a theme and this year was country western. An American flag was even flying. However, I don't think much of the drunken crowd even took notice.

At this particular Bal, we came with a crowd of about 15 people. When we walked up there was a line of about 100 people but when you come from the area apparently there is no such thing as waiting so we walked right up to the front of the line. As we were walking in there was a full cow roasting on a spit. Apparently it was to be eaten the next day.

There are several different areas of entertainment. The VIP area is for champagne only, a live music area, a dance and techno tent, a designated throw up area, (just kidding) and about 3 other areas which for some reason I can't recall there names. Hmmm, a bit strange.....

The people are the best part of the Bal. When the alcohol is flowing the crowd gets wild. There are people dancing on the tables between bottles of champagne. There is champagne coming from every direction unfortunately most of it isn't falling into your glass. Most of the younger crowd are the ones out of control but there are few old ones mixed in.

We left a bit early; I think it was 3 in the morning. At that point Valerie had had enough. In fact she had enough for both of us. I had to control myself since somebody had to get us home. Needless to say the next day was a bit rough for Valerie.

No comments: