Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Lyon- 2 Weeks and Running

2 weeks and running.
After receiving my Working Authorization I have been given two weeks to search an apartment and arrive for my first day of work on Feb 28th. The good news is we have found an apt.
I spent 2 days in Lyon last week pounding the pavement in search of an apt. Valerie called several places to set up appts and I went to look at them.
I arrived last Tuesday morning to a sporadic snow shower. Temperatures never rose about freezing and I definitely did not enjoy the cold. However, regardless I trudged on for 2 days straight block after block, bus after bus, and metro stop after metro stop. I think I probably walked between 10 and 20 miles. However, in that time I was able to see a lot of the city and from first impression; I really like this city. There are tons of great quarters with bars, stores and restaurants. The city is lightyears ahead of Marseille in terms of technology and cleanliness. The architecture is second to none and the food is supposed to be legendary. My kind of city.... I stayed in a Bed & Breakfast which was in quarter filled with restaurants from all over the world. The B&B was literally one extra room and bath that a lady was renting out. She was amusing. She talked to me for an hour about her and her children's travels. Overall I would definitely recommend staying with her and it only costs 37 euros/night.
The story
Anyway on the 2nd day, with recharged cell phone, map and metro pass in hand I was getting heading to my 3rd apt of the day. I had been getting so many calls from people to set up appts I was starting to get a headache. The appt I was headed to was at 1pm and I had another appt at 1:30 pm about 10 blocks away so I had to get in and get out of this apt as quickly as possible. The good this is that I was going to be the first person to see this apt. They wanted everyone to come at 6:30pm but I was leaving at that time so he scheduled me in on his lunch break.
The apt was in one of the most desirable quarters in Lyon. As I approached there was a metro stop about 2 blocks away and tons of restaurants, bars and shopping. The location was perfect!!! Also, not to mention, if I liked the apt I would jump on the metro and be at work in 10 minutes.
Anyway, I arrived at the door right at 1pm and pulled out the cell phone to call him. As he answered the cell phone died.. (battery or something). I had been using it constantly all morning. As I went to open my bag to get out another phone number my bag ripped apart!! What luck. There was no way I was going to figure out where he lived exactly without calling him since there were about 18 residents in the building. So I ran down to the local Tabac to buy a telephone card. (Talk about a ripoff. I paid 8 euros for 50 minutes of calling and I think it lasted about 20 minutes.) I quickly found a telephone booth and called him. By this time it was about 1:10pm and I had another appt in 20 minutes. Also, this guy had come home just for me to visit his place. I quickly told him the story and asked if he could wait downstairs. I ran back to the apt and he was waiting at the bottom. We went up about 6 flights of stair (no elevator) to the apt. The apt was really nice. It was bigger than our current apt with a big bedroom, large open kitchen, some storage but not a lot and even a small view of the Rhone River. I was really impressed and the price was easily in the budget. I talked with him for about 10 minutes, took some pictures and ran to my next appt. I had to stop by a telephone booth and call once again to get in to the apt. In fact the rest of the day was spent stopping at telephone booths to ask if the person could meet me at the door. Crazy Luck!!
Signing the Lease
Needless to say, the apt I have described above was my favorite apt. The following day Valerie called to set up an appt with the owner and we were the first to arrive. In France, it is about timing when renting. At times I walked into apts with 10 other people looking to rent. Lyon is a very tight rental market and can be very difficult to find a place. In fact as we were signing the lease someone called saying they would come over to sign right away but, First Come First Serve!! We are going to be living in one of the most desirable areas of Lyon. Lucky Us. We will have to really get used to a lot of stairs though. 6 flight!!

PS, so I start work on Monday and Monday night I pick up the keys to our new apt. I am taking a train on Monday morning to Lyon with two suitcases that I will be living out of in our new apt for the following 5 days. I have bought an air mattress so at least I have a bed. But I have no Fridge, stove, or oven. I guess I will be eating out a lot until the weekend. First purchase will be the Fridge.

No comments: