Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Worst Day of Teaching

First French Confrontation
It was a Monday morning like any other. Except the difference was that I had been absent the week before so it was going on 2 weeks since I had been to the specific school. I arrived to my second class late. The teacher asked me if I was prepared for a game that apparently I had told her we would do the next week I arrived. Somehow, I had written down that we were doing fruit this week so I told her that I wasn't prepared and that I had 2 other lessons prepared and ready to go. She became very angry and decided to yell at me in front of her students saying that I had told them we would do this game. I told her that I was sorry but I didn't have the pieces for the game and that I would do it next week. She sat down in back completely sulking and said nothing more. Basically, I had nothing more to say but to start a lesson I had prepared. As soon as I started the lesson she stood up and walked out of the room. She knew full well the kids would take advantage of the time and me. She came back about 30 minutes later just as the class was ending. After she excused the kids she immediately left without even looking at me. At that point I was really pissed off. I followed her down to the Director's office where I overheard her telling the story so I walked right in and told her exactly how I felt in the most broken french you can imagine but I got my point across. I told her, she had no right to treat me that way and that I am not the teacher of the class. She immediately got up and walked out. The director came over to me and told me to calm down. He said he would straigten it out. I told him there is no reason for me to put up with this crap. This is the second time she has berated me in front of her students. The first time I was prepared but I had forgotten a piece to the lesson downstairs. He said that they needed me at the school so he would make sure it was fixed.
The next week I really didn't want to go back to the school but I did. She acted like nothing had happened. Pretty funny. Overall, I like all the rest of the teachers. They are all very nice to me and helpful when necessary. In fact, the teachers in all my schools are very nice. Unfortunately, this teacher is very strict and I feel somewhat sorry for the kids because they don't seem to have fun in her class. I think that if she does this again I am just going to walk out of the class.

No comments: